The Mexico Diet: The Ingredients

 

It is now time to start, hopefully, the best diet yet: The Mexico Diet! I can't say that I am not looking forward to this one, because I really, really am. After 4 weeks of berries, fish and nuts, I'm ready to get some more vegetables into my diet. Though you might think I'm going to be sitting around eating nachos, tacos and bean dip, you'd be wrong.

Don't forget that each of my diets is very meticulously thought out before diving into, i.e., I am only eating foods that grow naturally in Mexico. Therefore, you won't be seeing any pictures of Carne Asada or Steak Quesadillas during this month.

The main reason I chose this diet was because of, well, avocados. They are most definitely my favorite food - natural food, that is - and I have often said that if I were on a deserted island and could only have one food for the rest of my life it would be....cheeseburgers. But if it had to be a natural food, avocados.

Now, obviously, I did my research way ahead of time, and had to be sure that there were other things worth eating while on this little Mexican journey. It wasn't as though I could literally survive (more psychologically rather than physically) on solely avocados.

So here below, are all the ingredients that are allowed on this month's diet. Almost all of them are native to the country with only a few small added liberties because well, because I'm in charge so don't ask any questions.

Foods that are native to Mexico:

1. Avocados (Thank you Jesus)

2. Dragon Fruit

3. Papayas

4. Vanilla Bean

5. Zucchini

6. Kidney Beans

7. Corn

8. Pumpkins

9. Bell Peppers

10. Chili Peppers 

11. Tomatoes

12. Pecans

13. Pumpkin Seeds 

14. Paprika 

15. Tomatillos

16. Mexican Green Onions 

17. Grouper 

18. Snapper 

19. Swordfish 

20. Tuna 

21. Mackerel

22. Crawfish

23. Mexican Wild Blue Shrimp 

24. Prawns

25. Turkeys

26. Ducks

27. Cacao

28. Black Beans 

29. Sheep 

30. Deer 

31. Plums 

32. Pinto Beans 

33. Mexican Purple Garlic 

34. Butternut Squash





Foods I am incorporating into the diet, with (what I think are justifiable) reasons for why:

1. Avocado Oil - I need an oil to cook with, and because avocados grow in Mexico, this is the appropriate tool 

2. Sunflower Oil - Again, since sunflowers are native to North American(including Mexico), it is appropriate to use if I need an oil as a cooking agent 

3. Lemons - these were brought over to Mexico by Christopher Columbus in 1493; Spanish conquest throughout the New World helped grow lemon seeds, according to my research. I am comfortable with 1493, as I was not born yet. I use lemons, as I have mentioned before, in just about everything. I do need that as a cutting agent for the spicier dishes I will inevitably make and... besides, I like lemons.

4. Limes - they were brought over to Mexico in 1520 undoubtedly by Spanish explorers, according to Google. I am still comfortable with the time period because it was long enough ago that they have become one with the earth at this point in Mexico. Plus, how can I be expected to make guacamole without limes?

5. Tequila. How can I be expected to suck lime juice without preceding it with a shot of tequila?! Just kidding. But seriously - Tequila.

According to Google...

"The first versions of tequila date back to 1000 B.C.
The tequila we know and love today didn't start off the way we know it now. In its earliest version, it was known as pulque and was made from the fermented sap of the agave plant by the Aztec civilization in what is now northern Mexico."

That means that tequila was around before Jesus. I am comfortable with that. And since I have no access to the original version of the amazing liquor... well, I guess I'll just have to use what I got in my freezer.




6. Popcorn. Okay. I have to hold back the tears of joy on this one. This is not a joke. It's very real. The Aztecs ate popcorn. So...ya know. Even though they got it all wrong with child sacrifices - they did get popcorn right. I haven't had popcorn in literally months. I think the last time I had popcorn was back in March. So...all I can say is Tequila-Popcorn movie night courtesy of The Mexico Diet!

7. Lettuce. According to my research, lettuce was introduced to Mexico in the late 1400s. That's fine.
I have to have some lettuce of some sort. I have allowed myself Romaine, and head lettuce as choices while on this diet.

8. Beer. There shall be no wine on this diet (very sad, but true), but there shall be beer. Because well, the Aztecs drank it. Just like with the Tequila, they made it from the Agave plant, and didn't start making wheat beer until much, much later when the Europeans took things over. But they still drank a version of beer. I'm thinking Coors will be a good match...

9. Garlic. Because Mexico does have a couple of different types of garlic (which are extremely difficult to find here), I am comfortable with substituting our "European" garlic that we have readily available here in the States 

10. Cayenne Pepper. While it may originate from French Guyana (after all, that's the capital), it was cultivated in Mexico 7,000 years ago. Wow. Even longer ago than the origins of Tequila. Again, I'm totally fine with that time period. And I need some seasonings in my diet. I'm getting pretty bored with...salt.

11. Sunflower Seeds. I don't know that I'm even cheating on this one, but I thought I'd mention it at least. Since sunflowers grow in Mexico, and since I'm not really eating any nuts, I'm happy to have a few seeds during the day as a healthy snack.

And there you have it. There is the list of ingredients I am allowed to use on this delicious new diet of mine. The only thing that will be most difficult about it, is watching those calories. Beans and avocados (and avocado oil) can be dangerous if used to excess. I don't want to spoil all that I've accomplished by backtracking.

So, wish me luck... here goes Week 1 of The Mexico Diet!


"So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God." – 1 Corinthians 10:31

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Viking Diet: Week 4

The Mexico Diet: Week 3

The Jesus Diet: Day 2