The Africa Diet: Week 1: North Africa

 

My strep throat and ear infection did not subside over the weekend. And in fact, it remained the same. Therefore I stayed at home on Monday as well, continuing my diet of course, but in a lot of pain.

Monday morning for breakfast, I had some homemade all wheat flatbread with onion, honey and sheep cheese


And some hot water with honey...

For lunch, I had a salad which was made up of kale, romaine lettuce, baby spinach, chickpeas, French lentils, and a honey-garlic olive oil dressing I made from scratch



Dinner was baked lamb with olive oil, butter and thyme a top homemade hummus with a slice of the flatbread.








The following morning, Tuesday, I was back to work but still in a lot of pain. For breakfast I had some grapes and only 1 mandarin.


For lunch I had some baked chicken thighs which were pre-chilled in garlic and thyme for several hours...with couscous


Dinner was three different slices of the wheat flatbread, one with sheep cheese and honey, another with ground lamb made with coriander, and another with homemade hummus - kale for garnish.


The next day, Wednesday, I was still in pain and wondering when all my problems would finally drop off.
I had the same as the day before for breakfast, followed by the same thing as the day before for lunch but with some peas...


Dinner was the exact same thing as the night before.

The following day, Thursday, I had the same thing for breakfast again...



And for lunch a kale salad as on Monday, with all the fixings, French lentils, lemon juice, lemon zest, the same dressing and this time one left over piece of chicken.

Still in intense pain throughout the whole week since I'd been to see the doctor, I decided to go back for a follow-up that evening. Turns out none of the medication I'd been on worked, and I still had an ear infection and strep throat. So she had to prescribe me new medication. Running around town trying to get this medication was not easy, and I was writhing in pain by the time I got home. Therefore, dinner was a bit hurried and I didn't even eat until after 9 pm.

Some chicken drumsticks made with olive oil and honey and some salad and hummus on the side...



The next morning, Friday, I had three mandarins, and some of the lunch the doctor prepared himself for us as a staff...it was delicious, and I did not even care that I cheated on the one meal.



Dinner was a lot of leftovers. Chicken from the night before, a couple of slices of the wheat flatbread with hummus, sheep cheese and honey and some romaine lettuce



Saturday morning it was only 1 mandarin...

Lunch was sauteed onions with mushrooms in olive oil, followed by chicken breast with thyme and salt cooked in white wine, placed atop a green pea mash made with olive oil, butter and garlic...quite delicious if I do say so myself.



Dinner was baked lamb with two slices of the flatbread with hummus, sheep cheese and honey

Sunday morning I had just a couple of grapes for breakfast before dashing off to church.

For lunch, I had the leftovers from the day before, and for dinner, I made something I didn't really care for - a slow cooker chicken with mushrooms, chicken broth, onions and garlic with salad and the last piece of flatbread on the side. I also indulged and had a little bit of dark chocolate after dinner, because... I'm a sinner.




So that is all for the first week of The Africa Diet, The Northern cuisine to start. Stay tuned for next week's entry where I will write about all of the recipes I came up with for the West & East in Week 2.

“He rained down manna for the people to eat, he gave them the grain of heaven.” - Psalm 78:24

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Viking Diet: Week 4

The Mexico Diet: Week 3

The Jesus Diet: Day 2